Monday, June 28, 2010

A CIVIL WAR SOLDER'S STORY

As a civil war soldier lay dying on a battlefield...a soldier knelt down beside him and asked if there was anything he could do for him...the dying soldier said that he had everything he needed...and passed on into eternity...the soldier noticed a piece of paper sticking out of his jacket, so he opened it and read it...it said, "I asked God for strength that I might lead...I was given weakness that I might learn to humbly obey...I asked God for health that I might do great things...I was given infirmity that I might do better things...I asked God for power that I might have the praise of the people...I was given infirmity that I might feel the need for God...I asked God for riches that I might be happy...I was given poverty that I might be wise...I asked God for all things that I might enjoy life...I was given life that I might enjoy all things...I got nothing that I asked for,...but everything that I hoped for,...almost despite myself...my unspoken prayers were answered...I am among all people most richly blessed.

MEMORIAL DAY 2010 
MANCHESTER WORLD WAR II PARK
By Jim Williams

1 comment:

lilyputzz said...

War, since time began, kills the strong and able leaving behind tears,anguish and irreversible loss. We can reach the moon, invent conveniences but don't know how to get along with our fellow man. Death and destruction being the final result and the moon and conveniences dulled by the impact. It seems that we, the earth's people ought to change our minds and hearts about what has the most importance.